Cochin Herald

All stories by: Cochin Herald
Education beyond the borders

Studying abroad has many benefits. Studying in a foreign country, adds to the confidence of the student while giving him or her, a better understanding of the multicultural world we inhabit. Overseas education is as much about the experience as it is about the degree or certification. It presents a wonderful opportunity to broaden one’s horizons and gives the student an edge in this age of MNCs and globalisation.

Uni-Ark is a committed overseas education consultancy firm founded by Mr. Roffin Devasykutty and Mr.Midhun Thomas. Having studied in the UK themselves, the directors know firsthand the value of this invaluable experience. The young and friendly duo has a wide network of friends and support base spread across the globe. The well-trained team at Uni-Ark has immense exposure to foreign lands and overseas educational institutions. They are passionate about finding the right university and the appropriate course for each of their students. As experienced consultants, the team steers the students in making the right choice in picking a school and country that meets his/her needs.

The company’s zeal and people skills are evident by the community of ‘Arkians’, students who have been placed in foreign universities by them. This network helps them to keep abreast of the changes happening on the campuses. They also form a support network for newcomers helping them to settle down easily in a foreign land.

Uni-Ark promotes the best-ranked universities and colleges across the globe. Each country has something unique and exhilarating to offer. While the USA continues to be a dream destination for many, countries like Australia and Singapore have been inviting foreign students by offering them the latest curriculum and friendly campuses. These countries are also popular for their warm and temperate climate.

Educational institutions of the UK have enjoyed a fantastic reputation for decades. The country continues to attract students from all over the world. Canadian colleges offer a wide range of courses that are also affordable compared to many other destinations. New Zealand and Ireland have recently opened their doors to students from other countries. With ample scholarships and provision to work part time, many students are opting for these friendly and scenic countries. Students who have completed a year-long masters program can now stay in Ireland for a further two years.

With so many options and choices to make, consultancies such as Uni-Ark are indeed a boon for those looking to study abroad. Uni-Ark has put together a list of FAQs that would give a better insight into their services:

Where should I study?

Uni-Ark presents students with options from all over the world. We do not promote any specific country or university. We encourage students to pick the right overseas destination by helping them to compare the ranking of the institution, costs, duration of the course, cultural atmosphere, etc.

How do I decide on an education program or course of study?

UNI-ARK encourages students to pick courses that are most suitable to their aptitude and career aspirations. We provide students with detailed descriptions of courses. We also give a general idea of job prospects in India and abroad, options for further studies etc.

Am I eligible for admission?

Each school and program have different criteria for accepting students. Usually, these requirements and conditions are published on the university or college websites and program profiles. Uni-Ark will help you to understand the various stipulations and prerequisites.

Am I eligible for scholarships?

Usually, information about student scholarships awarded by the university or college is given on its website. UniArk also helps students to contact the institution directly to get more clarity and information. There are many scholarship options for Indian students. Some are merit based, student specific, destination specific, program specific and subject specific.

Is the IELTS score a mandatory requirement for all countries?

Most of the English speaking countries require IELTS, but there are exemptions. Some institutes give a waiver based on the student’s 12th English score and Skype interview.

How can I test my English language skills for admission?

The most common test for English proficiency is TOFEL and IELTS. The PTE score is accepted in all major overseas education institutions nowadays. PTE exam dates are easily available and the result will be published in 2-5 working days.

What is the course duration in foreign universities?

Course duration depends on the country and the specific course. Generally, a Masters programme takes a year to two years and a Bachelors degree takes 3 to 4 years.

When should I start applying to foreign universities?

Admissions usually take place around September, January and May/ July. Students can start applying as soon as they have their academic documents. It is best to begin the application process 5-6 months before the admission period.

What documents are necessary when applying to a foreign university?

Besides a valid passport, the student should have all academic documents along with their semester mark lists and other certificates of merit. Some universities and countries ask for reference letters and statement of purpose. The university may also ask for the student’s financial standing, i.e. the capacity to pay for fees and other living expenses.

Should I be proficient in a foreign language other than English?

Knowing another language is always an advantage but it is not mandatory. Unless the student chooses a non-English speaking country for his/her education, the language barrier may not cause a concern.

Do I have to attend an admissions interview?

Colleges and universities usually conduct interviews through SKYPE or over the telephone. Uni-Ark will help students to prepare for such interviews.

Should I apply for the student visa?

After getting an offer letter from the university and once the student has made arrangement for necessary funds, Uni-Ark will apply for the visa on behalf of the student. We will assist the students to collect and submit all relevant, verified and necessary documents through proper channels.

Can Uni-Ark guarantee my visa?

Uni-Ark does not and cannot guarantee the issuance of a student visa. In fact, no agency or individual can make such guarantees. The power to issue the visa rests solely with the embassy of the respective country.

How much does studying abroad cost?

The expense depends on the country and the chosen course. An estimate of the living expense is often listed on the website of the embassy or the university. We at Uni-Ark can also provide you with more details on such matters. Scholarships are available for students and financial institutions such as banks offer student loans.

Can I work while I pursue my studies?

Most countries allow students to work up to 20 hours a week. Full-time work can be undertaken during vacation.

Can I meet my living expenses by working part time while studying abroad?

Most universities allow their students to work part time. Most part-timers also earn minimum wages, which varies according to the country. It is possible to meet the rent, food and other basic expenses by working the stipulated number of hours in most cases.

What about accommodation while doing the course?

Accommodation is often cheaper outside the campus. Depending on the country Uni-Ark maybe able to provide assistance in finding suitable housing with the help of our Arikans network. The team at Uni-Ark is ever ready to answer such queries and any others raised by the aspiring student and their guardians. They are pleased that more than half their clients are referrals and word of mouth recommendation is the secret behind their success.


Cochin Herald

All stories by: Cochin Herald